Planting Roses

 On an overcast day, a short graying couple kneels in their flowerbed planting roses.

With a lilt in her voice, she gently touches his arm, and asks "Hey handsome, could you get me the red and white osira?" before pointing to a bunch of bundled up rosebushes.

He removes a glove then brushes a strand of her silver hair back, kisses her on the cheek, and replies "Of course, gorgeous. That's the white one with the red tips?"

"That's right." she says, returning to digging the hole for the new rosebush.

Using his cane to rise to his feet, he walks over and grabs the rosebush. "You know. I once read a poem about this rose?" he volunteers.

"And you recite it every time we plant these." she says, smiling.

"The White Rose. By John Boyle O'Reilly. It’s nearly as short and as beautiful as you." he offers before reciting the poem while pretending to inspect the rosebush.


"The red rose whispers of passion,

And the white rose breathes of love;

O, the red rose is a falcon,

And the white rose is a dove.


But I send you a cream-white rosebud

With a flush on its petal tips;

For the love that is purest and sweetest

Has a kiss of desire on the lips."


"Yeah. That's the poem." she replies, blushing slightly.

"I like how you blush every time I recite it." He wiggles his bushy white eyebrows playfully, then hands her the rose bush.

The sound of distant thunder rolls far off on the horizon.

"Do you remember the first time you recited it to me?" She asks, shyly.

"Yes. At the cabin. I remember that night. How could I forget that night?" he utters, half remembering, half yearning.

She swats his arm and retorts, "Yes at the cabin. But not that night! The very first night on the dock behind the cabin; we talked until the sun went down, telling each other our favorite things. You said that was your favorite poem about flowers."

Smirking he says, "It is. And that is the night I meant."

She rolls her eyes before returning to planting.

Once they were nearly finished planting, he asks "Do you remember how surprised Jeff and Tammy were when Tim and Erica had invited me for the same getaway? Two bedrooms, two couples, two guests, and one sofa!"

"Oh my god!" she exclaims, "I swear I thought they were all going to die of embarrassment. But you took the floor the first night."

"The night of the horny duet?" he inquires, sultrily.

"Yes. Neither pair of them can keep their hands to themselves, even now." she huffs.

"Well. Neither can we. And you have to admit it was kind of hot." his voice deepening.

"I’d have let you join me on the couch." she sultrily.

"And I should have, too. There were really only enough blankets for one person." looking deeply into her eyes.

"Well. We fixed it the next night." her voice barely a whisper her face nearly touching his.

"We did. I think I used your butt as a pillow for a little while after you said you wanted to lay down on." his voice also barely more than a whisper.

"It was a nice pillow. But I wanted you closer to my lips." she says, each whispered word dripping from her lips.

"And I wanted to worship your lips… and everywhere else, my goddess. And we turned that duet into a chorus." his words pouring out like steam.

Rain began falling steadily as they gathered up and put away the trowels and shovels.

"Remind me?" she began whispering "When did you first know you wanted to worship me?"

"The first morning when I returned from my walk. I came in as you ladies were stretching before your run. Your face lit up like a thousand stars. You waved and said ‘hi!’ I must have stared for a full minute before I said ‘hi’." he said dreamily.

"Oh please. It wasn’t any more than 30 seconds." she offers, giggling.

"Do you remember the game we played the morning after the chorus?"

She pauses for a moment "Me reciting your favorites and you reciting mine?"

"Yes. I love that game." his voice deepening again.

"Tammy asked me about it a few weeks later. She said that each word sounded like we were saying ‘I love you’." she blushed.

Caressing the side of her face, "We were." Putting his around her and ushering her inside "What do you say we play it again while I worship you until the rain stops?"

"That sounds amazing! But the rain is supposed to last the rest of the week."

"We’ll have meals delivered." He says as he holds her closer and kisses her head.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Unstolen Heart

Fragments of a Memory of a Dream